Sunday, June 23, 2013

Five Days

All kinds of running around.  Life sure gets busy when you are planning 30 days on the road!
I got time to test the trailer brakes.  Adjusting took more effort than I had anticipated.  But I like how they behave.  I can just feel the trailer pulling when I stop.  No locking the wheels.  Slow speed turns with brakes are no problem (a worry, people have said trailer brakes on bikes pull you down trying to maneuver in parking lots)
I have my clothes selected and packed into several small bags (easier to fit in between the rest of the gear in the trailer)
I did a dry run on the packing of the trailer.  It is tight.  I had to be creative on how the pieces were placed.  I was considering leaving my camp stove (and the fuel, the griddle and the biscuit oven) to save a few cubic feet.  It would be a sacrifice, because I do enjoy breakfast made at the campsite.  A lot.  And in reality, I do not believe that the stove will see a ton of use.  If I get 10 breakfasts out of it in the 30 days, I will be surprised.  The planning for the 12 days that Marion will be with me in California only has one day in a campground.  The rest are hotels.  But if I can keep the stove, I will be happier.  For the moment, I am keeping it in.
As I was packing, I ran into a small technical issue - The trailer brakes occasionally blink.  I am not sure why.  Not at a regular interval, like might happen if the controller was reporting an error condition.  But random intervals.  The bike lights did not light.  Things that make you go 'hmmmmm'.  I'll check around the forums and see if this controller has this behavior.  But the brakes work, the lights work, and I am mostly set to go.  Marion and her mother are adjusting the helmet lining (it binds the top of my ears after a few hours on the road).  Reservations made for the legs that need them.  Loose plans for other legs.
Route 66 is calling.  37 hours of ride time to San Diego, according to Google.  Can't wait to pull out.

No comments:

Post a Comment