Friday, June 21, 2013

Seven Days and Counting



The California portion of the trip is firming up.  I still have one reservation to make, but it is at a campground with 50 openings, so I do not expect to be shut out today.  In reality, this portion of the trip is firmer than I had imagined.  Way back when this was just in the dreaming stages, I had pictures this as a loosely organized affair, stopping when I am tired and riding when I am not.  This will still be the case for the 1-up segments of the trip, but from San Diego to San Francisco, the lovely Marion will be with me.  She loves the idea of camping when we can, but much of the trip will be in large metro areas without campgrounds.  So hotels and reservations.  Not complaining.  It is still the west coast in all of its glory.  Just different than my original view.

Starting to seriously consider what to bring.  The space in the trailer is about 40% used by the popup tent.  I have a Coleman stove and stacking pots and pans. (I am a big fan of eggs and biscuits at campgrounds)  I need room for Marion’s airline bag, but we will be bringing some local microbrew for Karen, Marion's San Diego friend.  So the empty space for her bag will be used on the trip out.  My clothes (going light, and will launder when I get the chance), our two ukuleles (recent hobby addition/addiction)  Sleeping bag and blankets.  So far, I think this will all fit.

On the maintenance front, I have done most of what needs done.  Brake controller for the trailer wired.  Still need to test.  Aero wings installed.  Hoping that Marion's comfort is increased.  Cigarette lighter adapter installed (wow, super easy, cut a hole in the left pocket, plug it in and put the pocket back in).  I think that the forks are going to wait until after the trip.  As much as I would love to have everything in best working order, this one does not look like it will get done.  Only one fork is leaking, so even with complete failure, I still expect adequate dampening from the other fork.

Current to-do list:
Test trailer brakes
Pack clothes
Test pack the trailer
Then next Friday, I ride the bike to work with the trailer and come noon, I head west.

1 comment:

  1. Test trailer breaks - check
    Pack clothes - check (ur welcome ;-) )
    Test pack trailer - check
    Wait for Friday - check, buy only because u can't alter the space/time continuum
    :-)

    New item - figure out break light blinkies

    ReplyDelete