Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Maintenance

Small scare on the maintenance front.
I got a flat!  I periodically check the pressure and rather than the expected 38, I had 5.  Golly.
Brand new tire and it goes flat.
Well, no chance of riding it to work so I jump in the car and will have to wait til after work to look into it.
Get home, put it up on the center stand and inflate it up to 24psi.
Soapy water on the valve stem shows nothing, but there are bubbles from the core.  I loosen and re-seat.  I release air in bursts.
More soapy water and it is still leaking.
I ride it up to the shop to get try replacing the core.  I also wanted to familiarize myself with what a low pressure run flat tire felt like on the road.
I could not tell the difference.  Maybe 24psi was not low enough to make it feel squishy.
Anyway, a new valve core and no more bubbles.  So glad the tire did not need to come off.
Pressure has remained where it needs to be for 2 days, so I guess this snafu is resolved.
It did give me a chance to use the small pump I will be taking with me.  I cut the cigarette lighter end off and soldered on a lead for the battery tender plug.
Pop off the side cover and plug in the pump.  Easy!
Still to do:
Finish the trailer brakes control
Install the aero wings for the passenger comfort
Install the cigarette lighter for my cell charger.

No comments:

Post a Comment