Friday, June 28, 2013

First Day on the Road

I'm on my way!!!  Made just short of 500 miles today.  About what I was aiming for.  Pontiac Illinois is where I holed up.  There is a Route 66 museum here that I would like to see tomorrow.
Had to put the rain gear on twice but I knew I would be riding through the wet.  I wasn't expecting the hail though!  Flashers on and leaning in to the wind that was blowing faster sideways than I was going forward.  Thankfully brief, but I can still feel it on my arm.
I had to adjust my trailer brakes.  When I was setting them up, I went to full gain but the wheels never locked up.  After a few hundred miles, they apparently wore in and now have plenty of authority to lock up.  Easy to adjust.
Now the down side - the trailer brakes are misbehaving.  One wheel is grabbing.  At slow speed, I can feel the right wheel grab each revolution. Just to be sure that it is not a controller thing, I unplugged the brake plug.  It still grabs.  But not when I am backing up.  Tomorrow morning I will take the wheel and hub off and see if anything looks bent or distorted.  If need be, I'll pull the shoes off to keep it from grabbing.  I'll also pay attention to the bearings but I don't think they are bad.  No crunching noise.
Here's to hoping this is easy to resolve.  But that is for tomorrow.  Now a pillow is calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment