Saturday, June 29, 2013

More 66

Started the day with the repair work on the trailer.  That went well and has not caused any more problems. I went for breakfast in Pontiac while I waited for the Route 66 museum to open.  Pontiac is a very pretty town.
The museum is nice, but I have to admit I enjoyed the building more then the displays.  Two of the display rooms were former holding cells, complete with iron barred door.  Other rooms had doors 4" thick.
This post was supposed to have a nice picture of the Gateway arch.  I had the phone in the Ram mount ready to click when I saw it. Then I was going to stop there for some more pics.  Ma nature said No.  Phone back in the glove box as the rain starts to really come down.  I see the arch peeking over the trees before it disappears in the rain.  I got a decent view from the bridge but did there was still too much rain to get the phone out.
I did get to ride on some of the old Route 66.  Much of it runs along the super slab.  If you don't look left, you can pretend that you have traveled in time back to the heyday of America's Main Street.  Then the historic route turns away from the interstate and the illusion gets stronger.  I very much enjoyed that portion of the ride.  It hurt to turn back to the interstate, but I am meeting Marion in San Diego so I have to push on.  The tripometer says 943 and it needs to get to 2400 by July 3.
I'm at a KOA in Springfield Mo tonight, listening to the local fireworks.  2 new states  on my 'I rode there' patch.  More tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Go Vinnie, go!

    Very hot in Vegas right now. Drink plenty of water.

    Don't even think about camping - get into a motel and crank the A/C!!!

    ReplyDelete